The performance in terms of professional competences that are expected from a graduated from the Environmental Management Engineering degree programme, certified by the Forestry Sciences Faculty about knowledge, abilities and skills achieved during the training process are:
- Environmental quality management and audits systems. The professional manages, audits and performs functions which increase the quality of the environmental services aligned to the technical, ethic and scientific knowledge of the profession.
- Counselling and environmental impact assessment. The graduated provides counselling and strategic assessment services to enterprises and institutions regarding environmental impact based on ethic and sustainability criteria.
- Natural environment management. The graduated manages natural spaces and their use assessing the environmental risk supported by advanced technologies with ethic and professional criteria.
- Management of water quality and treatment. The graduated manages programmes and projects for the use of water and manages its analysis and treatment processes for domestic and productive use.
- Management of air quality and treatment. The graduated manages processes, samplings, regulation, programmes and projects of air quality.
- Management of soil quality and treatment. The graduated designs and manages programmes of soil bioremediation.
Similarly, the graduated acquires along his training generic competences, which train him integrally and enrich him as human being, allowing him to have a better performance in his personal, professional and working life:
- Social responsibility and citizen commitment
- Capability for oral and written communication
- Capability for communicating in a second language
- Skills in the use of TICs
- Capability for permanently learn and update
- Skills for searching, processing and analysing information from different source
- Capability for performing in new situations
- Capability for identifying, posing and solving problems
- Capability for taking decisions
- Capability for team work
- Interpersonal skills
- Commitment with the environment preservation
- Commitment with the social environment
- Appraisement and respect for diversity and multiculturality
- Skills for working in international contexts
- Skills for working autonomously
- Capability for developing and managing projects
The Environmental Management Engineering at the Forestry Sciences Faculty mostly
focuses in the environmental management systems and auditing, counselling and
assessment of environmental impact, the management in matters of soil, air and water and
of the natural environment, in the solution of environmental problems and in the scientific
aspects of the area, rather than in the design or application of devices or techniques and
experimentation, etc., as the usual English professional sense of the word “engineer”